‘Butter’ Chicken – FREE ON RED AND EXTRA EASY
1 tbsp fennel seeds
4 tbsp madras curry powder
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2.5cm piece of root ginger, grated
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
4fl oz/113ml passata
5oz/142g fat free natural yogurt
2lb/908g chicken cut into bite sized pieces
1 large onion
1 cinnamon stick
4 green cardamon pods
Salt and ground black pepper
400g can of chopped tomatoes
1/4 pint/142ml chicken stock
1. Dry-fry the fennel seeds and curry powder in a non-stick frying pan for 1-2 minutes, or until the fennel seeds release a warm aroma. Transfer the seeds and powder onto a clean work surface and crush with a rolling pin (or use a pestle and mortar set if you have one) until ground into a powder.
2. Put the ground spices into a food processor along with the garlic, ginger, vinegar, passata and half the yogurt. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a large glass or plastic bowl with the remaining yogurt and add the chicken. Mix well, cover and leave to marinade in the fridge for 12-24 hours.
3. When ready to cook, spray a large, non-stick frying pan or wok with fry light and place over a medium heat. Add the onion, cinnamon and cardamon pods. Stir-fry for 6-8 mins until the onion is translucent. Add the chicken mixture and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 mins. Season well.
4. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve with rice and superfree veg!!